Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Farewell to Istanbul: Part 14

The Istanbul Blues

It is a strange feeling being caught between two realities. One is the reality that I left in Istanbul and the other my present reality in the U.S.A. While coming back to the States has a feeling of comfort, being that I am American and this is the place where I am most familiar, it often feels like I am a stranger in my own country. It is a form of culture shock that will take some time to get accustomed. In previous years, I was visiting for two to three weeks, I was still connected to Istanbul and was not adjusted. I was a visitor to my own county. Now, my memories, my connections and my outlook still reflect my time my life in Istanbul. Somehow, my spirit is still in Istanbul, but my physical being is in the States. I yearn for Turkish food, to hear Turkish, to live in the chaos that I had adapted and the Marmara. But, as a new chapter closes, another one begins. Yet to get there, I must go through some the same stages as one who is mourning a lost loved one. Nevertheless, no matter where I go, I will always carry a little bit of Istanbul and Turkey with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment